Lately, it has become rather trendy to have tattoos with the number 555 inked on various parts of the body. But what does this number symbolize? And why is it so popular among young people? Let’s have a look!
The triple 5 tattoo meanings may include:
- Five elements (Wood, fire , water, earth and metal)
- Five Buddha families associated with the number five (Vairochana, Akshobhya, Ratnasambhava, Amitabha and Amoghasiddhi). This is part of Vajrayana or Tantric Buddhism.
- Five skandhas or aggregates of human existence. These are physical forms, feelings, perceptions, mental formations and consciousness.
- Five wisdoms (mirror wisdom , wisdom of equality, discriminating awareness , all-accomplishing wisdom and the wisdom of accomplishment)
- Five poisons (greed, hatred, ignorance or delusion, pride and jealousy)
The biblical meaning of 555
The number 5 symbolizes the Five Sacred Wounds of Christ.
- The first wound was caused by a crown of thorns, which pierced his forehead.
- The second wound was caused by the beating Jesus suffered at the pillar. Blood flowed from his head to his feet, so they might have hit him on the back of the head.
- The third wound was caused by a whip with metal studs, which pierced his chest.
- The fourth wound was caused by a spear that pierced his side and it is said to have displayed water and blood.
- The fifth wound was the result of a stroke from a cane or a rod on his back as he fell while carrying the cross to his crucifixion.
It can be said that Jesus suffered in his five senses: sight, hearing, smell, taste and touch. The number 5 also symbolizes man’s five senses and Jesus’ five wounds (two hands, two feet, and one side).
The tattoo symbol 555 is a reminder of what Jesus suffered on the cross and it represents a devotion to him. It can also represent the number of man’s responsibilities before God, five senses being used in order to obey his commandments.
In Judaism, this number is associated with divine protection. This is because one of the Hebrew words for five, Chamesh, is similar to a word meaning shield.
What’s the origin of the 555 tattoo ?
We know that the association between these digits and this word dates back close to a century but that’s about it.
555 tattoo design ideas and meanings
If you want to get a tattoo design related with protection or defense, then this number can be an inspiration. A lot of people that love tattoos and have been tattooed before choose 555 as a symbol for their faith and devotion because it is easily recognized due to its uniqueness.
The choice is endless, but here are some of the most popular tattoos inspired by 555.
- Chinese dragons representing the five elements or Five Wisdom Buddha family members can be an excellent design idea for a tattoo showing protection and defense.
- A shield to protect your loved ones, including past friends no longer in your life and family members.
- Skulls and roses to show your attitude towards the idea of death or defense through defense, reinforcing the idea that you may lose one or more battles in your life but at least you will win the war.
- The number 555 with a halo over it to represent protection by God.
References for further reading